A summary of the manifesto’s eight points are:
1. “It’s about leadership, not just leaders.” Leaders work within teams which interact with others across the organisation and externally.
2. “Leadership is of the place, not just the organisation.” Local government leadership is about engaging local people to make the area a better place in which to live.
3. “Respect difference.” Leadership work must be in the context of a council’s legacy, challenges and way of being, the manifesto says.
4. “Leading means telling a story.” Leaders need to be engaging and to make sure that people think their ideas are worthwhile.
5. “Leading requires ‘reading’.” Leaders need to be able to read situations and tailor their responses appropriately.
6. “Members and officers travel together.” Executive and corporate management teams need to work together.
7. “Politics matter.” We need to develop politicians as well as managers.
8. “People learn more from experience, not from being told.” Reflection on past experiences is important.
You can read more in a 20 page PDF booklet entitled “Living Leadership.”